Thursday afternoon:
Well around 1:00ish in the afternoon I went for a walk and even before I left for the walk was wondering if I was leaking fluid. So we walked 15 minutes. Still nothing substantial was coming out. Didn't increase when I coughed or laughed. But did seem to flow fairly consistent. Had a little extra discharge but nothing of strong odor or color. The leaking fluid did not have a strong odor and did not seem to be urine. However I drink a lot of water so my urine isnt strong anyways - here's me at work smelling everything in the bathroom! LOL I even laughed to myself at the time.
so 4:15 rolls around and Dr. Karon's office calls to schedule an appointment for next week - wanting to induce on Monday. Of course I have an appointment with Dr. Campbell at 3:15 on Monday so I'm really confused as to what is going on. He made it sound like the prostaglands would be put in, I'd be sent home; come back Tuesday 6AM to be induced at hospital. So I wait for Kristen (front desk gal) to call me back. She was none to pleased; neither was I - what is up with this office!
While I was waiting for Dr. K's office to call back, I called Dr. Campbell's office too and spoke to the wonderful nurse that checked us in that morning. She remembered me and was super sweet understood that I wanted to wait just another hour to see what was going on. She recommended laying down for 30 minutes and then getting up to see what happened - never did that. She said I could wait a little while and then just go to the hospital because they could test me to see if it was fluid or not - so there was no rush to get anywhere by a certain time.
So Kristen calls back and goes with the original plan I set with Dr. Campbell. Then I ask her about the POTENTIAL that i'm leaking and that we all know I had plenty of fluid at 10 AM that morning and you and I know you have at least a 12-24 hour window of time before the concern about infection kicks in. So now I'm transferred to the nurse who tells me I should go to their office like PRONTO. I mean she acted like I was in ACTIVE LABOR and it was an emergency. I'm thinking why? so I can wait 2 hours to be sent home again? I'm like no no I really don't know that this is fluid - it doesn't have all the classic signs and I'm not having any contractions. I'll keep an eye on my temp; go home and get dry clothes on so I can monitor what is happening.
So with 2 nurses encouraging me to error on the side of caution and go to the hospital - we did. And after trying not to get excited and feeling strange the entire way there - like is this it; It doesn't feel like "it"? Eah maybe not...then 4 hours later since I wasn't leaking what I was hopping I was leaking; we went home. We did meet 3 nurses who LOVE natural patients - even fight over getting them KC and Lauri were our team and are on shift both Monday and Tuesday :) so we told them we'd see them soon! Lauri even knew and had worked with patients that have done Hypnobabies and knew to wait until my eyes were open to talk to me :) big smiles about that!!!
Overall I was disappointed - big whop and no baby and I'm incontinent!! Booo!
The other great thing that occured - Dr. Karon did come and see me. She was dressed as Barbie for Halloween! LOL we had a wonderful visit with her. She was most patient, kind, answered all our questions. I didn't feel like a number and she spent adequate time talking and visiting with us. Asked how it went with Dr. Campbell and if we liked him. AND then said that she sent me over to him so we could talk research and stats - asked if we did that and I said yes we did and I really appreciated it and thanked her. We also talked about inducing and she said that since I'm soft and effaced I'm really a great candidate to be induced and that baby is only going to get bigger - I think she was really really trying to help me do better with my natural delivery. I told her that should we have to induce since we don't know how my body is going to react I wanted to talk to her about my options. She said that she'd start it really slow and only give enough to get things started. I shared with both her and Dr. Campbell that some people seem to do find on the Pitocin and others have crazy peaks upon peaks of contractions that are or would be unbearable - beyond normal birthing. Both agreed and said that everyone reacts differently.
I told Amy, my cousin, I'm no hero here and if the Pitocin gets some crazy stuff going on I'd like to be able to knock the edge off. She agreed (as expected I know) but said that we could have the epidural hooked up and then I get to control how much I want; or even if I don't want any. Dr. Karon also said that the anesthesiologists are phenomenal and know what they are doing - so not to worry. Then she'd tell me when to stop so I could really feel everything at the very end to push effectively. I finally felt that we had a real conversation and that both of us were understanding one another. She agreed that it would be great if Dean came over the weekend but we all feel going too much longer could have some real complications.
Not only that he's measuring 9.6lbs - I know that there is the margin of error; baby fat squishes and size alone is no reason to induce. However she said his head is measuring pretty big even for a 9.6 baby - she said that is something to be aware of. Dr. Karon and Dr. Campbell both "sized me up" with their eyes and said he'd fit - ha ha ha.
We really considered inducing Thursday, but I told Andrew it doesn't make any sense to do it for convenience sake (just because we are here) and throw the entire plan out the window. Besides I wasn't excited about sleeping at the hospital with the monitors on and then not really to get things started until the next morning...
So Dean follow the light and swim downwards before 6am Monday - otherwise I'm giving you a big push.
No doubt my baby likes me.